Astrology Frequently Asked Questions
What is Astrology?
Astrology is a method by which the forces of the universe (in which we participate) can be known by tracking their effects upon the planets. Astrology uses the planets and the coordinate systems which provide the "background" for the planets - the Zodiac and the earth framework of the houses.
The study of astrology has opened doors to insight, success and happiness since history has been recorded. From Nebuchadnezzar to Ronald Reagan, even kings and rulers have taken advantage of the advice of astrologers. In Rome, everyone who was anyone had their chart cast at birth. In fact, you were as likely to be asked, "What's your sign?" in Roman times as now, but you would have answered then with your Moon (instead of your Sun) sign! In Renaissance Europe, noblemen kept a "house astrologer" on the premises to provide continuous guidance.
Throughout the ages, people of all walks of life have sought the advice of astrologers. This advice has never been more important or timely than now. As humanity turns away from science as a religion and searches for its spiritual roots, it is looking for deeper knowledge and insight than can be found in empirical science or psychology. Such understanding can be offered by astrology.
Astrology is the study of cycles. All things follow cycles, including people. To say that we do not is to ignore the obvious evidence of the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly rhythms of our lives. With astrology we also look at the cycles of life which are not so obvious, those that last two years, seven years, 30 years (and so on). The planets follow these cycles, too. It is much easier to track the planets in their simple paths than it is to understand how our actions flow in the same rhythms, with all our complexities. Because we have free will (and a certain myopia when it comes to observing ourselves!), tracking the planets allows us to see into our nature in a way that can make the difference between success and failure, however we define it. This is the core truth of astrology which makes it valid and has held humanity in endless fascination since we first began to see the stars.
What can astrology do for
In plain language, we can learn about almost any part of our lives - our self, our family, partners, career, business. Astrology provides a way to understand the nature of almost anything because it speaks to us in a universal language---one that we all live and speak, but unconsciously. Have you ever had moments of magic in your life, moments when you feel you have the golden touch or you felt a magical or spiritual presence? These are times when we are in tune with the universal consciousness. Astrology can assist us in learning to tap that consciousness. In this way, we feel happier, centered, and fulfilled.
The more conscious we become of the universal forces and how they work, the more we can direct (sorry, not control) the forces so as to co-create our life and fulfill our purpose. Like dreams, planetary patterns can reflect back to us who we are and what purpose our life has at a very deep level. Properly used, astrology can lead us to our center and help us to know the eternal truths of existence, because the eternal truths of life lie within all of us, waiting to be discovered.
Everyone can benefit from this way of making sense of why love comes when it does, when the pressure will end, and how we can change our current circumstances. Whether you want to know about career, relationships, or personal growth; get guidance for business or financial growth, the world of astrology is exciting, gratifying, and awesome in its depth and power.
How does astrology work?
We don't really know by what mechanism astrology works, although many people are making good guesses. However, we can make some philosophically based statements about what we think is going on.
Many people believe that the planets move in response to forces which flow throughout the universe. By tracking the effects of these forces upon the planets, which move in a more predictable fashion than us humans, we can begin to detect how they are felt in our more complex lives. Note that I did not mention "the effects of the planets"! At least to my way of thinking, the planets do not influence us.
A process called "synchronicity" (identified by Karl Jung but known throughout the ages) tells us that what we experience in one way is also experienced in other ways on other levels, perhaps by other people. This may account for how planets and people follow the same rhythms. The ancient aphonrism which addresses synchronicity may be familiar to you: "As above, so below; as within, so without; as the universe, so the soul."
Why do people seek an astrologer the first time?
- We want to understand more about what we're experiencing in life, and we want to enhance our experiences in relationships, family, career, business, or spirituality.
- We want to know and appreciate ourself better--a pattern of behavior, our gifts and talents--and we want to use our new understanding to reach a higher potential.
- We have decided to make some changes in our life, and we want to know more about when to make them and how to approach them.
- We're in transition and we need a fresh perspective.
Why do people come for follow-up sessions?
- There's always more to learn about the wonderful person that we are! It may be helpful to set goals for our own growth, such as in relationship, career, or personal growth. A series of follow-up sessions with an astrologer can help us reach our goals more effectively.
- Sometimes we can benefit greatly by having a guide through a period of sustained growth, such as when a slow-moving planet signals a two- or more year period of change.
- Some people want to keep track of the cycles that are at work in their lives on an ongoing basis. They may want to learn to follow those cycles themselves or receive the astrologer's guidance in their use.
- Sometimes, people come in for periodic "updates"--around their birthday, at every three- or six-month anniversary of an important planetary event, or just when they feel that it is time.